PULP Community
Difference between RI5CY and CV32E40P - Printable Version

+- PULP Community (https://pulp-platform.org/community)
+-- Forum: PULP's Community forum (https://pulp-platform.org/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: PULP General questions (https://pulp-platform.org/community/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Difference between RI5CY and CV32E40P (/showthread.php?tid=353)

Difference between RI5CY and CV32E40P - eureka - 09-24-2024

Hello! I'm a student using pulp to do some research. I  formerly used the [pulpino] and this platform uses the [RI5CY] core. Now I'm using the [pulpissimo] and it uses the [CV32E40P] core.

I wonder if there is any difference between these two cores. because I found it says "32 bit 4-stage core CV32E40P (formerly RI5CY)", is this means that the difference between them is just name? Because I also compare the CV32E40P's github page and the RI5CY core cloned by the pulpino, there are many difference between files. For example, there is no [tracer] moudle in the [CV32E40P].

Since I want write the core ([RI5CY] or [CV32E40p]) to the FPGA and use it as a controller to control a NPU, I wonder is there a huge difference between these two cores in the PPA(performance, power, area)

Since I'm not a native English speaker, it may cause difficult when you reading my question, I'm very sorry about that!

Thank you very much! Smile

RE: Difference between RI5CY and CV32E40P - kgf - 09-26-2024

Hello,

We had originally developed a 32bit core called RI5CY. This was taken over by OpenHW group and renamed to (the very unfortunate name of) CV32E40P (CV for Core Five, 32 for 32bit, E for Embedded, 4 for 4 stage pipeline, 0 to say the first variant, and P for PULP extensions). This happened now probably 4-5 years ago, and in the meantime the core was developed further and many issues were fixed as well as more features were added.

So the up to date CV32E40P is certainly the better core to use. Also PULPissimo is the better platform when compared to PULPino if you want to use it as a microcontroller.

We always use the CV32E40P for example and collaborate with OpenHW group to improve it further.

RE: Difference between RI5CY and CV32E40P - eureka - 09-27-2024

(09-26-2024, 03:05 PM)kgf Wrote: Hello,

We had originally developed a 32bit core called RI5CY. This was taken over by OpenHW group and renamed to (the very unfortunate name of) CV32E40P (CV for Core Five, 32 for 32bit, E for Embedded, 4 for 4 stage pipeline, 0 to say the first variant, and P for PULP extensions). This happened now probably 4-5 years ago, and in the meantime the core was developed further and many issues were fixed as well as more features were added.

So the up to date CV32E40P is certainly the better core to use. Also PULPissimo is the better platform when compared to PULPino if you want to use it as a microcontroller.

We always use the CV32E40P for example and collaborate with OpenHW group to improve it further.

Thanks a lot for your detailed response! It helps me a lot!