Optimized design "vopt_tb" cannot be used by this version
I'm currently going through the training materials and I can't seem to run the hello world example. I get the following error message.

Quote:# Start time: 16:23:39 on Apr 21,2021
# ** Error: (vsim-3816) Optimized design "vopt_tb" cannot be used by this version of the simulator - it was only compiled for a 32-bit version of vsim
# Error loading design
Error loading design
# End time: 16:23:39 on Apr 21,2021, Elapsed time: 0:00:00
# Errors: 1, Warnings: 0

I tried modifying the command to use vsim -32 instead of vsim -64 But that made things much worse and gave more errors. So I've reverted it back to normal.  My vsim version is as follows.

Quote:Model Technology ModelSim SE vsim 10.7d Simulator 2019.02 Feb 15 2019

Is this supported with Pulp? or should I be trying to run this on a different Sim?
There are a couple of independent problems here.

- It seems like you used vopt (which is one part of compilation process you have done) using a 32bit version and then are trying to start the simulator (vsim) using a 64bit version. At least the error suggests that. This should be on your end, not an issue on the PULP part.

- Technically we use Questasim and not Modelsim. The difference is a bit academic, but basically Questasim has a 'newer' architecture and supports some of the SV features like assertions better. I am not 100% sure if we have anything in the PULP sources that would break compatibility, my gut feeling is that either should work fine.

- 10.7 is a rather old version, it could be that the default version is still 32bit.. So when you do not state something it could be that vopt runs with32bit..

- What could also be that you have a system where multiple versions are installed on top of each other. so vopt is executed from a path from an older installation and this causes issues (this is just a wild guess).
Visit pulp-platform.org and follow us on twitter @pulp_platform
(04-21-2021, 02:41 PM)kgf Wrote: There are a couple of independent problems here.

- It seems like you used vopt (which is one part of compilation process you have done) using a 32bit version and then are trying to start the simulator (vsim) using a 64bit version. At least the error suggests that. This should be on your end, not an issue on the PULP part.

Thanks, that was the issue. I had one too many environment variables that pointed to 2 different versions of modelsim. I changed them to point to the correct version and I can get things to compile.