μClinux on Ibex or CV32E40P?
Hello, 

I am exploring the various pros and cons to adapting 32-bit cores Ibex & CV32E40P to run μClinux (w/o MMU). If the power efficiency is not much less, I can understand the benefits of using CVA6 which can run full-featured (MMU) linux, but I am curious what the power consumption is for CVA6- I do not have access to the paper: "Slow and steady wins the race? A comparison of ultra-low-power RISC-V cores for Internet-of-Things applications." 

However I did read, "Micro-riscy is 1.6× smaller than Zero-riscy (∼11.6 kgates in UMC 65nm), has a power envelope of just 100μW at 160MHz and it is 1.4× more energy efficient than Zero-riscy on pure control code."

I would also like access to: "Near-Threshold RISC-V Core With DSP Extensions for Scalable IoT Endpoint Devices" In a low-power 28-nm FD-SOI process, a peak efficiency of 193 MOPS/mW (40 MHz and 1 mW) can be achieved." 

From reading the abstract, it appears Ibex can run at 100uW, and another core, in the 2nd article, runs at 1mW- Is that CV32E40P?

The reason I am asking is, I would like to build upon a research paper, the "Battery-Free Game Boy" in Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies September 2020 Article No.: 111, which uses an Ambiq Micro Apollo3 board running at sub-threshold voltage, similar to the near-threshold voltage of the RISC-V Core mentioned above. The theory is, if μClinux could be adapted to run on Ibex or CV32E40P, using external memory for RAM, an iPod, android phone, or even a laptop could be built with it and be powered by amorphous solar panels, and ultra-low power e-ink, with battery backup. Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
μClinux on Ibex or CV32E40P? - by limone - 01-15-2021, 05:13 AM
RE: μClinux on Ibex or CV32E40P? - by kgf - 01-15-2021, 06:37 AM
RE: μClinux on Ibex or CV32E40P? - by limone - 01-15-2021, 07:46 AM
RE: μClinux on Ibex or CV32E40P? - by limone - 01-22-2021, 04:29 AM