Custom extensions to the RISC-V ISA
Hello! I'm interested in creating custom extensions to the RISC-V ISA. The goal of these extensions would be to define instructions that perform specific operations (e.g., butterfly operations, twiddle factor generation, modular arithmetic) that I can use to implement various cryptographic primitives (e.g., NTT). I would then like to measure the speedup of these cryptographic primitives with my extensions enabled vs. with my extensions disabled.

What would be the best platform to achieve this goal?

I see one possibility, which is to take the CV32E40P core and extend it with custom functional units using SystemVerilog. I'd then have to find a way to get the compiler to take advantage of the new instructions that I've defined.

While I would be comfortable using SystemVerilog, I'm more interested in exploring the design space of possible instructions rather than attempting to debug a particular hardware design. For this reason, I'm curious if an architectural simulator / instruction set simulator would be more appropriate for my needs. Does PULP offer an architectural simulator / instruction set simulator? I found GVSoC, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Custom extensions to the RISC-V ISA - by froggyhopper50 - 10-09-2022, 03:27 PM
RE: Custom extensions to the RISC-V ISA - by kgf - 10-09-2022, 03:56 PM